Friday, February 2, 2024

Crestwood Village 2/2--Wild Turkey

I didn't get very far today. My weather app claimed it wasn't raining around Whitesbog, while it was just drizzling here. I drove two blocks and found my first Wild Turkeys of the year. Common in Crestwood Village, they wander all over. For a long time last summer & autumn I had my own posse of turkeys that would hang around the side door until I fed them.  These might have been from that gang, because as soon as I got out of the car to take their picture, they ran up to see me. Unfortunately, I had no seeds with me. 

I find it risible that people are afraid of turkeys and complain that they've been attacked by marauding gangs of turkeys, or trapped in the house because menacing turkeys stand ready to strike in their driveway. They're turkeys. They're dumb. And they tend to run away from anything bigger than them (or smaller if they're yappy little dogs). Which is more evidence that these guys (four jakes and a tom) knew me. 

While I was taking the pictures with my phone, the drizzle started to be real rain and my weather app changed its tune--suddenly it was raining at Whitesbog. And would continue all day. I turned the car around and went back home, having fulfilled the "one cool bird a day" requirement. 

Are you sure there's no food in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment