Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Strangest Question of the Year (So Far)

I was walking the snow-covered trails at Colliers Mills yesterday when I saw a Jackson Police car coming up the road toward me. The officer rolled down his window, greeted me as "sir" and then asked if, since I'd obviously been walking around, I had happened to come across an ambulance. Ambulance? "Yessir." 

I told him I'd noticed tire tracks on the berm  along Turnmill Pond, where supposedly no vehicles are allowed, and I thought that was strange. "Yes," he said, "it would be strange riding around in a snowstorm." While he wasn't very forthcoming, I gathered that Jackson Township was missing one ambulance and had reason to believe it was somewhere in the vastness of Colliers Mills.  Since I was no help, after asking me to call them should I stumble upon the wayward ambulance, he continued on up to the turnaround, and I saw him later driving up Hawkin Road toward the Joint Base MDL. Soon, another patrol car was going the same way.

That question beats the one I was asked on Success Road (a dirt road) a few years ago about whether it was the way to the Borgata in Atlantic City--but not by much. Definitely the strangest question this year, but the year is young. 

No comments:

Post a Comment