Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Barnegat Lighthouse SP 2/22--Snow Bunting

Snow Buntings
The big draw at Barnegat Lighthouse is the inlet and the treacherous jetty, but I was much more interested in the scooped-out dunes area that was done as plover and tern nesting habitat a few years ago. There's a pond there now, but I wasn't even interested in the waterfowl in there; instead, I walked about 3/4 of the way around the pool, stopping every 50 feet or so, looking, looking, looking. I figured if I was going to run into Snow Buntings this winter, this was the day to do it--relatively warm, with no wind. 

And finally, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. I just knew it was a Snow Bunting and getting my binoculars on to the moving bird proved myself right. Then a few more followed it, picking at the base beach grass, eating seeds, I guess. They blend in so perfectly with the sand and vegetation that I had to practically step on one before I could find them.

Fortunately, I wasn't inclined to go on to the jetty today (I rarely am), because the tide was so high that a 3/4 mile long pool lined the beach side of the rocks. However, I was able to get the Lighthouse specialties when I got to the ocean, since the Harlequin Ducks were roosting on the rocks and the jetty had a flock of Purple Sandpipers huddling with Dunlins

The most entertaining part of the day was listening to the Long-tailed Ducks. Late winter is when they start their mating call which I can only transcribe as an incessant "Ehhhr-waanta-waant." It was the soundtrack of my walk as they were everywhere--the inlet and big flocks near the jetty and farther south along the beach. 

Savannah Sparrow (Ipswich)
The other specialty I saw was the Ipswich sub-species of Savannah Sparrow. A single bird flew by me and landed on the sand, picking at the seaweed for something to eat--what I can't imagine. I'll check this day off as a success.

24 species
Canada Goose  60
Mute Swan  2     Plover Pool
Mallard  20
American Black Duck  2
Greater Scaup  1
Common Eider  6
Harlequin Duck  7
Black Scoter  9
Long-tailed Duck  100
Bufflehead  45
Red-breasted Merganser  10
American Oystercatcher  6     4 flyover 2 in plover pool
Dunlin  25
Purple Sandpiper  20
Herring Gull  200
Great Black-backed Gull  10
Common Loon  30
Great Cormorant  7
American Crow  4
Carolina Wren  1     Heard
House Sparrow  1
Snow Bunting  5
Savannah Sparrow (Ipswich)  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2

No comments:

Post a Comment