Friday, April 1, 2022

Whitesbog 4/1--Bonaparte's Gull, Palm Warbler

Bonaparte's Gull
I knew I'd made the right decision to go to Whitesbog today when, driving in, I looked over to the mud flats on Rome Pond and saw 4 Wilson's Snipes grazing with the blackbirds. A good bird to start the month. March's lousy weather leaked over to today (April Fool!) and with a crazy quilt pattern of weather systems moving across the state, I didn't want to be walking along a beach when a rainstorm hit. Plus, Whitesbog always make me happy.

I was driving along Union Pond, going to my usual parking spot when I glassed the far shore and saw a flock of Ring-necked Ducks. However, there was a white spot to the right of them that wasn't a duck. I got out my scope and just as I had identified the bird my informant, who was on the other side of the pond, called to ask me if saw that gull. "Bonaparte's Gull," I told him. Bonaparte's Gull isn't rare if you're along the Delaware in Burlington County, but deep in the Pine Barrens it is exceedingly uncommon. Back in December I saw my first one at Whitesbog on the Middle Bog across from Union. 

Bonaparte's Gull used to be pretty easy to get, but lately they have become notable, even along the shore. For a good chunk of March there were a few being reported every day at Lake of the Lilies in Point Pleasant Beach, but I couldn't convince myself to go up there for them. I reluctantly chase the "rare" Black-headed Gull up there every year, but it just seemed silly to drive up for a supposedly common bird. Finding one on Union Pond (even if it wasn't Ocean County) is much more satisfying.

Of course, the trick now was to get a photo. Not inclined to back up on a narrow dike, I instead drove a snappy 25 mph around the Middle Bog then up the side of Union, across the Ditch Meadow Road, and onto the landing strip where I parked, with the gull in sight through a gap in the vegetation. And of course, it flew as soon as I turned on my camera. But not far and I walked back and got some decent pictures, then got better ones when it flew back toward me as I was walking back along the road. 

The swampy area across from Union is always a good spot in the morning if the sun is out and for a brief period today it was. Lots of sparrow and woodpecker activity and then, just as the road turns back into the woods, I saw a warbler bobbing its tail and had my FOY Palm Warbler. Trying to get a photo of that bird was laughable as it hopped around the tangles. If I had to prove I saw I could, but I won't hurt your eyes with the picture. 

The wind kicked up late morning as I was heading out of the Village and back to the car. Now I was really glad I wasn't on a beach. My friend drove up the dike on his way out and we compared notes. I'd lost sight of the gull, but a few minutes later he called to tell me it had relocated to Rome. I found it on my way out and got even clearer, closer pictures. 

For a blustery April day with a late start, 37 species is pretty good for Whitesbog. 

Canada Goose  5     Flyover
Wood Duck  6
Mallard  9
American Black Duck  2
Ring-necked Duck  16
Bufflehead  5     two in middle bog, three at double laned road
Hooded Merganser  1     Ditch Meadow
Mourning Dove  4
Killdeer  5
Wilson's Snipe  4
Bonaparte's Gull  1     Union Pond then moved to Rome
Turkey Vulture  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  2     Heard
Northern Flicker  4
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  8
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  4
Tree Swallow  20
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  2
House Finch  1
Chipping Sparrow  5
Field Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  6
Red-winged Blackbird  15
Common Grackle  20
Palm Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  15
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Northern Cardinal  2

Wilson's Snipe


No comments:

Post a Comment