Friday, January 14, 2022

Riverfront Landing 1/14--Canvasback

Canvasbacks & Ruddy Ducks
Well, now it's getting to be a joke. I swung by Riverfront Landing this afternoon on my way home, hoping to finally see the Canvasbacks that historically frequent that wide part of the mighty Toms River. Other birders have been reporting them from across the way in Mathis Park, but I know, from years past, that they like to hang around the marina near Riverfront, slipping in between the docks and piers. Rumor has it that they like that spot because the marina owner feeds them. 

Anyway, I missed them yesterday from both parks, but today, I found them right away, just a little bit up the block on Water Street. And of course, the looks were lousy with tremendous sun glare couple with my inability to get closer because I'd have to trespass on a private parking lot to do so, which I know the owners frown upon. Plus, those big ducks had their heads tucked in. So, I got them on the list, but once again, circumstances were against me. Oh, where is that perfect winter light where the birds stand out brilliantly and where is that perfect viewing spot where you can get close enough to see the birds in detail instead of just "knowing" those are the birds because you've studied the pamphlet Ducks At A Distance

Cropped

No comments:

Post a Comment