Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Backyard 3/21--Pine Warbler

Pine Warbler with 3 goldfinches
After traipsing through various wooded areas the last week or so (Cattus Island, Shelter Cove, Winding River, Jake's Branch, the cranberry bogs in S. Toms River), I finally, finally, saw my FOY Pine Warbler today, on our feeders while I was stuck in the house due to our 4th Nor'easter of the month. But it was not such a bad day to be housebound as the birds were looking for food.

Shari got me out of bed this morning to see the 32 Wild Turkeys on our lawn. This flock has been around all winter, marauding through the neighborhood (if you listen to the other residents). When I opened the window to throw seed onto the snow they didn't scatter but came running from all points. And yet, some hysterics think of the birds as terrorists.


We had the regular feeder birds along with a couple of new backyard birds for the year--a couple of female Brown-headed Cowbirds and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet on the suet cake. Four noisy crows were in the woods abutting our property. Proving that they're omnivores, I saw one eating a big piece of matzo I had flung back there that after a year in the cupboard was more shingle than food, not that I ever could distinguish the difference.

For the day I had 20 species in the yard. There are days I go into the woods and don't find half that many birds.
Wild Turkey 32 Regular guests
Ring-billed Gull 1 f/o
Mourning Dove 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 Suet
Blue Jay 1 Heard
American Crow 4 Noisy
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 Suet
American Robin 1
European Starling 4
Pine Warbler 1 FOY. On suet as well as seed feeder
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 Suet
Dark-eyed Junco 14
White-throated Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 3 Mostly ground feeding
Brown-headed Cowbird 2 Mixed seed feeder
House Finch 4
American Goldfinch 9 Thistle and mixed seed

American Crow



No comments:

Post a Comment