Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Couple of Howlers

It's been a while since I posted any inanities that I come across in my daily reading, but today's blunders, being on consecutive pages of the Defenders of Wildlife Magazine that I receive, just could not go unremarked:


Here is an example of a phrase that the writer has only heard and never seen in print. It is like "for all intensive purposes." Of course, a moment of thought would show the writer that the phrase makes no sense, but a moment of thought is usually asking a lot. That's why there used to be proofreaders and copy editors.

That Vladimir Nabokov was an amazing guy. Not only did he discover a new species of butterfly 37 years before he was born, he was able to do it 14 years before even his mother was born.

I think I'm only donating my money to organizations that can pass a literacy test from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment