Thursday, August 23, 2012

Backyard 2 AM--Eastern Screech Owl

With it cool enough to sleep with the air conditioning off and the windows open, I awoke this morning at around 2 AM to the whinnying call of an Eastern Screech Owl from the woods in the back of the house.

I knew which owl it was immediately because I've heard birders who can reproduce the call and use it as a way of calling in birds. I guess the birds gather to mob the owl that's threatening them.

Checking my records, I was surprised to see that this is only the second time I've listed screech owl and the first time I've ever heard one. The only other record I have is from Texas, at Bentsen State Park, where we saw one sitting in a tree hole, almost completely camouflaged except for its eyes.  When the eyes were closed, the owl was virtually invisible.

Eastern Screech Owl in Bentsen State Park, Texas
Photo: Shari Zirlin

1 comment: