Thursday, June 28, 2012

Double Trouble--Green Heron

I've seen lots of 'em in New York. I've seen 'em in Delaware, Virginia, and Massachusetts. I've seen 'em coast to coast in California and Florida. I've seen 'em in Puerto Rico. The Bahamas. I've seen 'em in Canada. They're not rare. But until today I had never seen a Green Heron in New Jersey. I don't know how one has eluded me this long.

This morning I took a long walk in Double Trouble State Park. I wanted to be out of the house, doing something I enjoy instead of waiting for the Supreme Court to render its decision on the health care bill. I was coming down Sweetwater Road, scanning the bog's water, when I saw a bird flying like a crow that wasn't a crow. Yellow legs, bluish green back, rusty breast--yes, finally, my first NJ Green Heron.

Every thing else I saw or heard today was an "expected" bird. Still, good to find warblers, especially the Black-and White Warblers which seem particularly active today, as if they were looking for food for their young.

After 2 hours and 20 minutes I was filling out my list in the car. I was happy to have my heron. 10 o'clock. I turned on the radio. A minute or so later I was even happier.

24 species:
Great Egret  1    f/o
Green Heron  1    Bog on Sweetwater Road
Mourning Dove  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  2
Blue Jay  1    Heard
Barn Swallow  12
Carolina Chickadee  1    Heard
Tufted Titmouse  1    Heard
Carolina Wren  1
Wood Thrush  2    Heard
American Robin  10
Gray Catbird  5
Northern Mockingbird  3
Ovenbird  4    Heard
Black-and-white Warbler  4
Common Yellowthroat  5    Heard
Prairie Warbler  1    Heard
Eastern Towhee  3
Chipping Sparrow  10
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Common Grackle  10
American Goldfinch  5

No comments:

Post a Comment