Friday, April 27, 2012

Whiting WMA 4/27--Common Yellowthroat

"Here we go again," I said to myself this morning, hearing "witchety-witchety-witch" deep in the bushes near the lake's shore. I was hearing a Common Yellowthroat--I wasn't seeing it. It seems that I hear a lot more of these warblers before I ever see one pop up out of bush and it gets to be a little frustrating because ear birding is okay for the common birds (you don't have stop for every chickadee, titmouse or towhee) it is a much more satisfactory experience to see these pretty little birds.

Other  highlights of my walk were running into "The Gang of Four" male Wild Turkeys on one of the paths, an Eastern Phoebe uncharacteristically investigating a feeder, and the first Barn Swallow I've seen in the WMA, whizzing over the lake with the much more common Tree Swallows.

List:
23 species
Canada Goose  2
Mallard  13
Wild Turkey  4
Turkey Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  4
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  1
Fish Crow  2
Tree Swallow  10
Barn Swallow  1    
Carolina Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
House Wren  1
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  15
Common Yellowthroat  1    
Eastern Towhee  15
Chipping Sparrow  14
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1
House Finch  4
American Goldfinch  2

No comments:

Post a Comment