Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Backyard Life Bird: Whip-poor-will

Tonight, twilight, sitting in our new backyard, I said to Shari,"I wonder if we get any nighthawks down here." I was hoping to see one fly overhead in the gloaming. I don't know that I'd even be able to identify one in the dim light--I've only been lucky enough to see a couple swooping by in daylight, which is very rare.

Nighthawks are in the nightjar family that also includes Whip-poor-wills. Sure enough, right before I went in the house I heard the unmistakable call of the Whip-poor-will. I called Shari, who had already gone into the house, but it stopped calling; it probably flew deeper into the WMA that borders our property. That made up for the hummingbird I missed that she saw at her feeder--she was so excited!

Now, we've heard whip-poor-wills before, in Arizona. What I didn't realize is that somewhere in the last few years WHIPs were split into two species. Thus, the WHIP in AZ was a Mexican Whip-poor-will. The one I heard tonight was an Eastern. So a lifer just dropped into my lap this evening. Next, I'd actually like to see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment