Friday, June 10, 2011

Marine Park--Southwest 6/10: Willet

I mostly found the expected birds today in Marine Park's marsh. Walking back along the shore I scared up a Willet. And I do mean scared--it flushed from the high grass and began circling me, calling incessantly (and, interestingly, not the "pee-willet" call it is known for). I felt bad that it was so distressed. I thought maybe it had a nest nearby and was trying to distract me, the way Killdeer will, but it flew in ever widening circles around me as I walked along. It would land in the grass for a moment, then take off again chattering in flight. Finally it flew off behind me. If the Willet is reading this, sorry to disturb you.

It was low tide, hot and clammy, so by noon I was through. 31 species I could identify. A couple that I had to let go by due to bad light or distance.
Mallard    4
Double-crested Cormorant    3
Great Egret    7
Snowy Egret    3
Black-crowned Night-Heron    1
Osprey    2
American Oystercatcher    6
Willet    1
Herring Gull    20
Least Tern    2
Sterna sp.    1
Rock Pigeon    4
Mourning Dove    5
Chimney Swift    1
Willow Flycatcher    2
Empidonax sp.    1
American Crow    2
Barn Swallow    8
Marsh Wren    1
American Robin    10
Gray Catbird    3
Brown Thrasher    1
European Starling    40
Yellow Warbler    3
Common Yellowthroat
    6
Eastern Towhee    2
Song Sparrow    4
Northern Cardinal    2
Red-winged Blackbird    25
Common Grackle    3
Boat-tailed Grackle    5
Baltimore Oriole    1
House Sparrow    4 
Smart Car wreck Week 2
Still there.

Wreck with kayakers and Great Egret in background

In a thousand years this car will have returned to the Earth.
New junk that wasn't there last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment