Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pier One 5/19--Baltimore Oriole

I figured I better get some birding in before The Rapture & End of Days on Saturday, so I went to the nearest spot, Brooklyn Bridge Park.

(And speaking of rapture, real rapture, 4 years ago today Shari & I were united in wedded bliss.)

Nothing much happening down there until I sighted a Baltimore Oriole in a tree near the playground. All the Heights mommies had to walk around me while I stood rigid in the pathway, looking with my binoculars and listening to it sing.

It flew from tree and tree and I was able to follow it a while but then it flew off toward the salt marsh, which has grown in nicely this month. There are birds in there, but now that it is all green, they're much harder to find.

I also stopped very briefly at what once was (and will be again) Pier Four.
Pier Four
Number of species:    9
Brant    7
Canada Goose    2
Mallard    1
Double-crested Cormorant    4
Herring Gull    1
Mourning Dove    2
Barn Swallow    5
European Starling    1
House Sparrow    5
Pier One
Number of species:    11
Brant    19
Canada Goose    2
Double-crested Cormorant    4
Ring-billed Gull    2
Rock Pigeon    3
Barn Swallow    1
Northern Mockingbird    1
European Starling    2
Common Grackle    1
Baltimore Oriole    1
House Sparrow    5

No comments:

Post a Comment