Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Prospect Park 3/24

FOY birds are arriving at the park. There are reports of an Orange-crowned Warbler, but I haven't seen it, officially at least. Last week I saw a bird near the Boathouse that I was sure was an OCWA, but since they're listed as rare here for this time of year, and since I didn't get a perfect look at it, I didn't have the guts to call it or list it. And after someone else reported the bird near the same location as I'd seen it, I didn't want to seem like a "me-too" kind of guy and then report the bird.

Things like that motivate me to get better at identification so I'll have the confidence to call what I see.
Prospect Park
Observation date:     3/24/10
Number of species:     34
Canada Goose     75
Mute Swan     7
Mallard     50
Northern Shoveler     29
Ring-necked Duck     1   Drake, Upper Pool
Ruddy Duck     99
Great Egret     1  Duck Island
Black-crowned Night-Heron     1 Duck Island
Red-tailed Hawk     2
American Coot     8
Herring Gull     1
Rock Pigeon     10
Mourning Dove     3
Red-bellied Woodpecker     3
Downy Woodpecker     4 Lily Pond
Northern Flicker     3 --2 Nelly's Lawn, 1 Sparrow Bowl
Eastern Phoebe     3 --1 Midwood, 2 Nelly's Lawn
Blue Jay     1
Fish Crow     1  Flyover Lake
Black-capped Chickadee     4
Tufted Titmouse     4 --2 behind Music Pagoda, 2 Vale Cashmere
Carolina Wren     2
American Robin     150
Northern Mockingbird     2
European Starling     100
Cedar Waxwing     6    Vale Cashmere
Song Sparrow     6
White-throated Sparrow     13
Dark-eyed Junco     7 Midwood
Northern Cardinal     17
Red-winged Blackbird     35
Common Grackle     30
American Goldfinch     2 Midwood, Vale Cashmere
House Sparrow     7

No comments:

Post a Comment