Friday, February 19, 2010

Brant in Prospect Park

I had just scared up my first Merlin of the year off the Terrace Bridge, when I ran into Peter scanning the lake from his Parks Dept truck. He pointed out a flock of Brant to me on the other side of the lake shore.

I've always wondered why you don't see Brant in the park and finally figured that they prefer salt water. I also think that the hundreds of Canada Geese foraging on the grass leaves little room for them. So 82 (I counted each one) Brant on the lake is notable. 10 seconds after I finished counting them they took off en masse, heading in the direction of the Parade Grounds.

I had to hurry home because we lost our Internet connection, so I missed a couple of birds I normally see--Red-breasted Nuthatch and Tufted Titmouse. Still, I'd consider the 2 1/2 hours there well-spent. When I got home I rebooted the system and voila, we're back on line.

Prospect Park
Number of species:     36

Brant     82     On Lake
Canada Goose     61
Mute Swan     6
Wood Duck     1
American Black Duck     6
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)     2
Mallard     200
Northern Shoveler     26
Ruddy Duck     33
Merlin     1     Off Terrace Bridge
American Coot     8
Ring-billed Gull     300
Herring Gull     13
Great Black-backed Gull     1
Rock Pigeon     25
Mourning Dove     7
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     7
American Crow     9
Black-capped Chickadee     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
American Robin     60
Northern Mockingbird     2
European Starling     110
Fox Sparrow     1     Feeders
Song Sparrow     4
Swamp Sparrow     2     Phragmites on lake shore
White-throated Sparrow     30
Dark-eyed Junco     15
Northern Cardinal     26
Red-winged Blackbird     6
Common Grackle     1
House Finch     4
American Goldfinch     1
House Sparrow     9

No comments:

Post a Comment